"Creating conditions conducive to life is not optional; it’s a rite of passage for any organism that manages to fit in here over the long haul." -Janine Benyus, founder, Biomimicry 3.8
Conducive is a women-owned real estate development firm. We believe in the power of environmental restoration and climate change adaptation as a means to build resilient and vibrant communities. We have expertise in real estate, land use planning, renewable energy development, architectural and ecological design, construction management, product commercialization, public policy, and strategic planning.
Our model clusters residential neighborhoods on productive farms, known as agrihoods. Inspired by both the slow food movement and the shift in farming to use regenerative practices that grow nutrient-dense food, rebuild topsoil, increase biodiversity, and mitigate the effects of drought and flood.
Climate change gives us both the urgency and the opportunity to rethink social, environmental and economic challenges. Our mission is to:
- Create places that uphold natural and cultural heritage;
- Protect biodiversity;
- Redevelop existing properties because it is the most sustainable, albeit often more expensive, kind of development;
- Design careers developing resilience to climate change;
- Create business leadership rooted in eco-literacy and environmental stewardship;
- Build places where people can experience what it feels like to lead a healthy, climate-beneficial life.
We believe in building a new paradigm.
"Old paradigm: Climate change is primarily a consequence of elevated greenhouse gas emissions, largely from the burning of fossil fuels.
New paradigm: Climate change is a consequence of global ecological destruction, especially of soils, soil biota, above-ground flora and fauna, and bodies of water; including disruptions of carbon, water, and energy cycles."
- Biodiversity for a Living Climate